Thursday 19 January 2012

What I am EATING.

In my on going attempt to eat out less and cook more I have been trying some new recipes. This month has been full of a lot of Mexican flavours and soups. Soups are perfect for winter and a great way to get tons of veggies in.


While waiting in line at the grocery store one day last month in I got sucked into the magazine rack. Usually I flip through cheap tabloids that can be read in their entirety while you wait to check out but this time food caught my eye. I love Mexican food so I thought I would give it a try. I ended up making my entire New Years Eve Dinner out of it.


I couldn't find Poblano peppers in my local store so I used jalapeno peppers. A little spicy but great. Next time I will replace the black beans with some shredded chicken.


I was most skeptical about this one. Was it a corn bread a pudding? I didn't get it. But it turned out to be one of my favorites. It was the prefect mix of sweet and spicy, a great side dish.


Super simple, quick and tasty.


This recipe is a little cut off here, but its not missing anything too important. I replaced the chorizo with shredded chicken in this because not everyone in my house eats pork, but to be honest the chorizo probably would have added quite a bit of flavour. It was still good, I would make it again but would just pump up the spices a little.


LOVE THIS SOUP. Easy, tasty and affordable. I increase the spices, I actually double them and add some chilli flakes for a bit more spice. This recipe is from the Looney Spoons Series. I make a big batch of this soup and put some in the freezer. It's always nice to have a plan B on hand for days when I feel too lazy to cook.


2 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh L:

Those recipes look yumm! We too are attempting to cook everything we eat from scratch! Going to start blogging about those adventures.

cha cha said...

Please send over the link when you have them posted, I am always looking for new recipes!