Wednesday, 20 June 2012
Cuban Black Bean Soup
Perfect for the hottest day of the year, right? Soup may not be a summer time favorite, but it's so good and so easy to make!
I borrowed this book The Vegan Table by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau from the library last week and have been trying out some of the recipes. First up was the Cuban Black Bean Soup, I loved it. Filling and tasty.
• 2 tablespoons of water, for sauteing
• 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
• 2 red bell peppers, diced
• 4 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
• 3 medium bananas, peeled and sliced
• 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
• 2 tablespoons of hot sauce ( I used chilli flakes)
• 2 cans of lite coconut milk
• 4 cups of vegetable stock
• salt and pepper to taste
Place water in soup pot, heat over medium high. Add onions, garlic and chopped red peppers. Cook until onion is transparent, about 5 min.
Stir in black beans. Add bananas, cumin, ginger and hot sauce. Stir and cook until fruit softens. Pour in coconut milk and vegetable stock. Bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer until liquid reduces, about 45 min.
Place soup, in batches into blender until blended smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Note: I tried to take a picture of the actual soup. Do you know how hard it is to take a picture of soup and make it look good????? Shout out to all the food photographers out there, I couldn't do your job.