Tuesday 1 February 2011

Lunch with Martha- Eating better, spending less.




Lately I have been making more of an effort to work with what I have, in all areas of my life. It's so easy to be a consumer all of the time, with out being conscious of it.
One area I am working on is food. I love food, a lot.  In fact the first time I went to college I went to Chef school. It was very short lived. I quickly realized I like cooking for a few friends and family not a whole room full of strangers, plus the 6 am start time everyday was really not working for my 20 year old self.
In the past of have been all about instant gratification with food and when you live in a large city, with access to all kinds of tastes, it is very easy. Then one day late last year I stopped and really took a look at how much money I was spending on eating out and groceries. It was a ridiculous amount of money and very unnecessary. So as of lately I have been making an effort to eat out less, buy food in season and stick to what I have in my kitchen, not fly out the door to satisfy every culinary craving I have ( and I have a lot). So far it's been fun, I have enjoyed the challenge of making something tasty out of fewer ingredients and as a bonus, I am spending a lot less money. 
Today I had quinoa, apples, raisons and some spices to work with. Almost the exact ingredients I needed for this Martha Stewart recipe I found online. I would give it a A-. It tasted good, was easy to make and a small portion kept me full and satisfied. I felt like it was missing a little something, can't put my finger on what it was but I may spice it up a little more next time I make.
If you have any favorite recipes please share, I can never have to many to experiment with!

No comments: